Well it was a "Two Dog Night " last night. (It was actually a three dog night, but we only have two dogs.)
Gramma snuggling for warmth.
We BBQ'd some steaks last night. 6 below and snowing. We BBQ all year round. I don't believe in pan frying beef steak. It's just wrong. I also believe it can only be properly cooked over wood or charcoal. Had a gas BBQ once, didn't like it. No flavor.
It's only 9 below this morning, so things are improving. Got a good fire going and the sun is out, so it should warm up to about 77 to 80 in the house. That's when Gramma takes off one of her extra flannel shirts and thats when I put on my shorts and go in the back bedroom where it's cooler.The dogs like the stove. Some times they lay so close I expect them to burst into flames.
One of the bad things about the cold is the chickens get frostbite on their combs. They all have it, but Antoine's is worse because his comb is so big.Here you can see he has some on his wattle as well. It doesn't seem to bother them, they don't act any different or scratch at it or anything. They have an insulated coop with a heat lamp, but only go in there at night, so I don't know how else to help them. When I look it up online, some people think it's bad and some people say not to worry about it cause chickens have been getting frostbite since there were chickens. There was one amusing post by someone who said it would make the chickens sterile. I don't know what their comb has to do with fertility, as some chickens don't have combs, but hey I'm just a dumb old hay farmer, so what do I know? Anyway stay warm.
No comments:
Post a Comment