Tuesday, April 30, 2013

Sugaring

Sugaring is over, finally.
Here's the syrup in the pantry, less one pint for me for ice cream, 1/2 pint I gave to Clayton and two pints for hooch. The most sap we ever got before was just over 50 gallons. I started boiling on the 5th and boiled the last batch on the 29th. 168 gallons of sap! It made 4 gallons and 1 pint of syrup, so that's about 42 gallons for 1 gallon of syrup. If you notice, the last jars on the left are dark. These two batches came after the trees started to bud. They taste a bit different and aren't as sweet, but they're still good. I read where some syrup made after budding can be very bitter tasting, so I guess we lucked out. This was a lot of work! So if you want some syrup, come see me. Bring two forms of I.D. and pass a background check and sign a form stating that you will only eat it on ice cream and we'll see if you can have some. Be good, be careful be sure you don't over cook your sap. Ta.

No comments:

Post a Comment