Monday, April 8, 2013

Sugarin'

I put out 25 taps this year. The snow was still deep (turned out to be 2 feet) and it was tough on the old guy to slog out there. So I strapped on my Dad's snowshoes. 
 That was a little better, but the snow was melting and about every 4th step I had to stop and shake off the snow from the top of the shoes. Soo....
 Got out the Bobcat. Much better.
 Anyway here's my cooking operation. Don't let anyone see these pics, I don't want those people in Vermont to steal my process.
 Finishing up on the stove. Boiled down 12 gallons. Made a quart of syrup.
That means 3 half pints of syrup and one pint of hooch.
Got 12 more gallons in the fridge I'll boil down tomorrow. Supposed to get cold again so I'm hoping to get more sap the next few days and then it will most likely be done. Be good, be safe and be ever vigilant. Seeeee Ya.

2 comments:

  1. I know how much work this is for you, but the syrup is worth it! Yummy!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nice pics! Do they have maple trees in Arkansas?

    ReplyDelete