Saturday, June 18, 2011

Farm additions

 Here is the latest piece of machinery to come here. It's an IH sickle mower, made for a Farmall.
It took a bit of figuring and re-engineering, but I got it to fit my tractor and got it working yesterday afternoon. Unfortunately it was raining this morning so I'll have to wait till it dries out to use it again. We got this to mow the pastures to help keep them growing good and keep the weeds down. Also since I'm only planning on one hay harvest I will be able to cut the hayfields when they start to grow back. This will help keep the weeds down and put nutrients back into the soil instead of taking them all out, sort of like self-fertilizing. It's like mulch mowing your lawn. I also went to the FD"s yesterday and brought home this.

 This is the first head of beef in the soon to be vast Berg Acres Cattle Empire, which we expect may number in the two's, three's or four's.
He is a Semmental-Angus cross and maybe some other too, I can't remember. Most important he is Beef. I told Gramma I was going to call him T-Bone and she said, she was going to call him Burger Boy. That's a better name, but then this morning we came up with the perfect name. We recently watched the new True Grit movie. Now if you are not familiar with either of these movies this may not mean anything to you, but it does to us, so we named him Monsieur Le Beef. Doesn't he look delicious? In about a year, when he's two, we will take him to the butcher.

1 comment:

  1. Ha! We recently saw that too. M. La Beef looks pretty good.

    ReplyDelete